Thursday 23 May 2013

SOME OF THE BEST LOVE SONGS IN THE WORLD



One of the most faithful followers of our blog suggested us publishing a post about love songs in English and we have picked up the gauntlet, that is to say, we have accepted the challenge.

It seemed to be very easy, but it has been the most controversial topic we have dealt with so far. The reasons are quite obvious. Everybody in the department has his/her own favourite love songs and lots of examples come to our minds at every moment.

So, you have here our list. We are sure that we have forgotten many "unforgettable" songs. Help us to remember them. Maybe we can publish a new post with the songs you tell us.

Let´s stop talking! It´s time to listen to the music! Enjoy it!


Fly Me To The Moon

This song written in 1954 was originally known as "In Other Words" and although it has been recorded by many artists over the years, it is most closely associated with Frank Sinatra.




Someone Like You

This popular romantic ballad was written by Northern irish singer-songwriter Van Morrison and recorded in his 1987 album, Poetic Champions Compose. Since then, it has become a movie classic that has appeared in films like French Kiss or Bridget Jones´ Diary.






The Way You Look Tonight

This Oscar-winning song in 1936 was originally sung by Fred Astaire in the film "Swing Time". There have been many covers since that moment, some of them by Tony Bennet, Ella Fitzgerald, Rod Stewart or Michael Bublé (the one we include).






Bed of Roses

 Bon Jovi wrote this song in 1993 in a hotel room while suffering from a hangover and the lyrics reflect his feelings at the time. Its power ballad style made it a worldwide hit.







You´re In My Heart

Written and recorded by Rod Stewart in 1977, the song proved a popular single, reaching the top ten of many national charts. The lyrics mention the two Stewart´s favourite football teams: Celtic Glasgow and Manchester United.





I Was Born To Love You

Written by Freddie Mercury in 1985, this song was released as a single and on the Mr. Bad Guy album. It has been on of the greatest hits of Queen.







Too Much Heaven

The Australian band, the Bee Gees, contributed with this song for the "Music for UNICEF" fund in 1979. The song later became a success in many countries around the world.






Love Is All Around

This song was composed and originally performed by The Troggs in 1967. However, it became an international hit when it was sung by the Scottish band Wet Wet Wet for the soundtrack of the 1994 film Four Weddings and a Funeral





Heroes

Written by David Bowie and Brian Eno in 1977, it was a product of Bowie´s fertile "Berlin period". The song tells the story of two lovers who come together in the shadow of the "Wall of Shame". It is one of the greatest Bowie´s hits of all time.





Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?

Carole King made a fantastic cover for this song originally performed by The Shirelles in the sixties. It has been recorded by many artists since then, most notably by artists like Bryan Ferry or Amy Winehouse.


And last, but not least, we offer you a recommendation that a friend has made to us.  
 It´s well worth listening to it! It may even be one of the best love songs you can ever listen to!


"All Night Long" by Rainbow.









8 comments:

  1. Maite Fdez. Gómez23 May 2013 at 18:17

    Thanks Manuel for this wonderful post.
    In the department we were looking forward to reading it as you probably can imagine.
    The bunch of songs you've chosen is really good. If I had to choose only one, I wouldn't be able to make up my mind.
    Thanks anyway for giving us a place where we can meet, listen to good music, and read interesting facts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ana Las Palmas26 May 2013 at 09:27

    Nice job teachers!
    I just want to add a link if you are into music and you want to do a quiz at the same time as you listen to songs. The link will take you to a song by Michael Bubble, but there are more.
    Thanks again for these awesome love songs.
    http://www.eslvideo.com/esl_video_quiz_low_intermediate.php?id=15478

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edu García 3B28 May 2013 at 23:00

    Wonderful post I like Sinatra very much, this are beatiful songs but I preefer other types of music for example Hip-Hop or R&B, Hip Hop has a very love song, I think that the best love song is forever of Lil mo o Your All I Need of Method man and Mary J Blige (This last song are R&B)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A.S. (Las Palmas)28 May 2013 at 23:31

    What a nice post! I think the music of today can't usually bring us the beautiful feelings the old music do, and classic songs will always be the best. This teach us that love won't change even if the time do, and I believe that's important.
    You've made a wonderful recopilation of songs, and the post was so interesting. You've got a nice music taste. :3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicolás Jáñez 3B29 May 2013 at 23:34

    Very well post,I love the songs of Freddie Mercury and also I like the songs of Sinatra but I like other type of music also like the party´s music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tamara Alvites 4ºB31 May 2013 at 09:58

    Love Queen's song and Michael Bublé's is great too!, I think that a great song for this post is "I Want It That Way" by the Backstreetboys. Another great song is Adele's "Someone Like You" I love that song and I think it should be in this post.
    And of course "Little Things" I don't have to say who sing it... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rocio Rivera Steimel 3ºB2 June 2013 at 19:13

    Amazing post! The first song made me melt again. I´ve always listened to Frank Sinatra with my grandad when I was little, and I think Francis´ voice is pure magic. I really like this post Manuel! But I completely agree with Tamara, "Little Things" should be here! Also "Just the way you are" by Bruno Mars, "Kiss Me" and "Give me love" by Ed Sheeran or "Under my skin" by Frank Sinatra and Bono :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noelia Las palmas22 November 2013 at 18:22

    Hi!
    I liked it so much because Im a very romantic person and I like a lot love songs
    You did a very good job. ;) bye!

    ReplyDelete