Friday 25 January 2013

FREDDIE MERCURY. THE GREAT PRETENDER.

Queen in The Simpsons
Few rock bands embodied the pure excess of the 70s like Queen. It was formed in London in 1971 by Freddie Mercury (lead vocals, piano), Brian May (guitar, vocals), John Deacon (bass guitar) and Roger Taylor (drums, vocals). They could not imagine they would become one day one of the most popular and best-selling music artists in the world.

They enjoyed success in the UK since their first album, Queen, but it would not be until the release of  Sheer Heart Attack(1974) and A Night at the Opera(1975) that they gained international success. The latter featured "Bohemian Rhapsody", which was their first great success. Their 1977 album, News of the World, contained two of rock´s most recognisable anthems, "We Are The Champions" and "We Will Rock You".

In the 1980s, the band was one of the biggest stadium rock bands in the world and they gave some of the greatest live performances in rock history. In 1991, Freddie Mercury died of bronchopneumonia, a complication of Aids. That was the beginning of the band´s breakup. They had released 18 number one albums and sold about 300 hundred million albums.







Freddie Mercury deserves special attention since he was not only the composer of many of the hits for Queen. As a performer, he was known for his flamboyant stage persona and powerful vocals over a four-octave range. In some music polls, he has been considered the greatest male singer of all time and the prestige magazine Allmusic has characterised him as "one of rock´s greatest all-time entertainers".

His death made him a rock legend and today he is an icon of rock music all around the world. Fortunately, he left us Queen´s songs. We can enjoy them whenever we want. Mercury´s magic is still alive even though he died so many years ago now.





You can look for more information and videos at www.queenonline.com

16 comments:

  1. I think we should include the video of these two songs. Some of our students only know Queen thanks to these two "anthems"

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUJztI884M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you´re right. "We will rock you" was already included but I think it´s a good idea to listen to "We are the Champions" too. They are two rock anthems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. María Arias 4ºB29 January 2013 at 21:11

    I´ve enjoy it. You may talk about David Bowie. I don´t know him so much but I think he´s very interesting and I have heard that he has a new CD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicolás Jáñez 3B29 January 2013 at 21:39

    The show must go on!Fredy Mercury gave a big lesson to the world after of to save that he went to died but he followed singing and this did that the people followed for forward

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cándida García 3B29 January 2013 at 22:26

    I think that this group of singers are one of the best in all the history! Freedie Mercury had a voice very beatiful and there isn't another equal!! I like all his songs and i'm a big fan! My favourite song is "don't stop me now" and it's fantastic!! It represents that now it's a good moment and NOTHING is going to break it. With Freedie Mercury's music my life is complete!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rocío Rivera 3ºB30 January 2013 at 07:36

    I think the same Maite! :)
    Freddy Mercury is one of the most amazing men I have ever seen in my life, I wish he could be back here. I don´t know him, but he has to be so funny! He sang almost all the celebration songs I know!
    He had to be a fun guy. I´m so sorry, another idol had to die by drugs...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Manuel Fernández (4ºC)30 January 2013 at 10:51

    I have listened to all the songs of the post, I think that the best one is ``Show must go on´´, That´s amazing!, Good job Manu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcos Igl(4ºC)30 January 2013 at 10:55

    I think it´s a great blog, Freddie Mercury is God but I prefer Tracy Chapman. In my opinion you should put up Tracy Chapman´s Music.
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. eva y barby 4ºC30 January 2013 at 10:58

    the best song for a queen is the sow mus´t go on!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Andres-Daniel (4ºC)30 January 2013 at 10:59

    Queen are gods, they are the best!!!
    In our opinion, Freddie Mercury is the best singer in history!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My fouvourite band is Gueen and my fauvourite songs is We Will Rock you and We Are The Champion

    ReplyDelete
  12. rubén fernández 4º C30 January 2013 at 11:02

    i think that Queen is one of the best band i have ever seen but i prefer AC/DC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Víctor Rodriguez 4º C30 January 2013 at 11:05

    Queen is one of the best groups of the history, my favourite song is "i want to break free"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maite Fdez. Gómez31 January 2013 at 21:37

    I agree with Marcos, Tracy Chapman is incredible. I like "Fast Car". But Queen... they represent more than just music and entertainment.
    But, maybe, you should write a post about our students' favourite songs and see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pablo Gancedo 3ºB13 February 2013 at 16:45

    I think Queen is one of the best bands. I have never seen them but it isn't my style, I prefer metal

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pablo, keep on looking at the blog, we are publishing tomorrow an article about Deep Purple. Do you know them? I´m sure you do.

    ReplyDelete