Monday 21 January 2013

U.S. ROUTE 66: "THE MAIN STREET OF AMERICA"


U.S. Route 66 was a highway which originally ran from Chicago, Illinois, through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona to end at Los Angeles, California. It covered a total of 2,448 miles ( 3,940 km). Established on November 11, 1926, it soon became one of the most famous roads in America.


 
Driving Route 66 across Arizona


Also known as the Will Rogers Highway, the Mother Road or the Main Street of America, it served as a major path for those who migrated west, especially during the Dust Bowl of the 1930s. The Dust Bowl, a period of severe drought and dust storms in 1934 and 1936 which forced hundreds of thousands of people from the Great Plains to migrate to California, was marvellously depicted in the novel The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck.


Route 66 Motel Sign
Removed from the United States Highway system in 1985, it has been entirely replaced by the Interstate Highway System. Nowadays, portions of the road have been designated a National Scenic Byway with the name of Historic Route 66. This road has been recognized in popular culture by both a hit song and the Route 66 television show in the sixties.

We leave you with a video of the song. Don´t miss the images of the Mother Road. John Mayer is singing:

17 comments:

  1. Óscar Merayo 3ºB29 January 2013 at 20:19

    I think taht the route 66 will be a very interestig esperience to with some friends do after end the university. I like this song a lot. Is very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think so, Óscar. It would be a fantastic experience for you and your friends to go along Route 66. If you do it some day, tell us in the blog how it all went. I also think the song is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rocío Rivera 3ºB30 January 2013 at 07:41

    Well, it wouldn´t be a bad idea to have all a year to travel before the University no? And even better if you travel around the USA! Mmm, when I get older I would try to convince my parents.
    Ps: Nice song!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. eva y barby 4ºC30 January 2013 at 10:50

    In the future we will go to go Route 66...beacuse the Route 66 is very interesting. The Route 66 is beautiful and unforgetable experience

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabriel Alvarez 4ºC30 January 2013 at 10:56

    I hope that when I am older, I will travel along the Route 66 on motorbike because it has so beautiful landcapes and I love to ride a motorbike

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manuel Alonso (4ºC)30 January 2013 at 10:59

    It´s a very interesting route, it has appeared in many road movies. I hope to travel along it one day with my family, or with a friend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maite Fdez. Gómez31 January 2013 at 21:41

    Route 66 represents more than a road to cross the USA.
    For many people it is the beginning of a new stage in their lives, a change, a new experience and a way to discover themselves.
    Well, this last sentence is very "American", don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be so interesting to drive along the Route 66 to see all the landscapes and also the cars that are in the villages that the Route crosses

      Delete
  8. I like this route because it connects two big cities. I'd like to go to visit these cities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to go to route 66.I'd enjou it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has almost four thousand kilometres.I'd like to go to route 66.It is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the route because people travel through almost all the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The route 66 crossed the Utinited States from Chicago to Los Angeles.
    I´d like to go because it is a symbol of national unity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. José Antonio 2ºA8 March 2013 at 09:44

    It is well-known. I'd like to go to the route 66 because it connects Chicago and LA.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The route 66 connects Chicago and LA. It's an American icon and the American people call it the main street of America

    ReplyDelete
  15. The route 66 crosses the United States from Chicago to LA.I'd like route 66 because it is a popular trip.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd like the Route 66 because it soon became a popular trip, especially for young people.

    ReplyDelete