Saturday 16 March 2013

HE´LL ALWAYS BE "THE KING". ELVIS PRESLEY


Elvis Presley, "The King".

Despite the fact that Elvis Presley died almost 36 years ago ( August, 16, 1977), he is still considered "The King of Rock and Roll". Widely regarded as one of the most important figures of 20th century popular culture, his name, image and voice are instantly recognisable around the globe.  Now we want to pay tribute to him from our blog.


Elvis marked the birth of rock and roll
 
 
He started to sing in the 1950s and became the most important popularizer of rockabilly (a fusion of country and rhythm and blues). His first single, Heartbreak Hotel (1956) was a number-one hit. His energetic interpretations of songs and his uninhibited performance style made him enormously popular. In that same year (1956), he made his film debut in Love Me Tender.



 
 
Elvis promoting Jailhouse Rock
After military service (1958), he relaunched his career with some of his most commercially successful work, including so poular songs as Jailhouse Rock, It´s Now or Never, Can´t Help Falling in Love or Return to Sender.Then, in the sixties, he devoted much of his time to making Hollywood films and soundtrack albums.

Unfortunately enough, addiction to prescribed drugs such as barbiturates made his condition decline quickly in a short time. After some years of such a big abuse of these drugs, his health deteriorated inexorably and he finally died in August 1977 at the age of 42. A legend was born at that moment.

Elvis in Alloha From Hawaii,
the first global concert satellite broadcast (1973)
 
 
With no doubt, he is one of the most popular musicians of the 20th century. He had a versatile voice and succeeded encompassing many genres, including country, pop ballads, gospel and blues.He is still the best-selling solo artist in the history of pop music and we can state that it is impossible to think about popular music without recognising his awesome importance and influence.


Elvis´grave in Graceland
 
 
It´s really quite difficult to select Elvis Presley´s best songs. Here you have the six we prefer, although it doesn´t mean there aren´t many others which we could have chosen. Tell us which ones you prefer.

"I Can´t Help Falling in Love With You"



"Love Me Tender"


"Always on My Mind"




"Blue Suede Shoes"

 
 
 
"It´s Now Or Never"

 
 


"Jailhouse Rock"

6 comments:

  1. Maite Fdez. Gómez18 March 2013 at 21:52

    Sorry Manuel! I can't make up my mind. I think that, as I am feeling blue today, "Blue Suede Shoes" is going to cheer me up. I choose that one!
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamara Alvites 4ºB22 March 2013 at 10:11

    Sorry Manuel, I don't like Elvis' music so far. I found his music very slow and boring. He's overvalued. I don't like this type of music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the Elvi´s music.I think that Elvis is better than the singels are now.But I don´t like him song "It´s Now Or Never".Very good Manuel!you´re a well job.Because the songs that the best singels were in the past

      Delete
    2. I don´t like his music but I think that he is a good singer.Sorry Manuel you should have written on Michael Jackson.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I think Michael Jackson is much better. Write about him Manuel, he is a real legend!

      Delete
  3. Rocío Rivera Steimel 3ºB22 May 2013 at 20:56

    Well, sorry guys, but I completely disagree. I respect your opinions, but I think Michael Jackson was good, so good, but he can´t compare with Elvis. Elvis was the king, and no one will never change that.

    ReplyDelete