Thursday 21 March 2013

ENGLISH IDIOMS: LOOKING FOR THE HIDDEN MEANING



We are sure you have found some expressions in English that are difficult to understand, even if you know the meaning of all the words that are part of it. These expressions are called idioms and they exist in most languages. Even the term "idiom" is a bit confusing for Spanish speakers since it is one of the best-known examples of a false friend.



 Be careful! We are not referring to different languages but to phrases or expressions that have a figurative meaning conventionally understood by native speakers which  is not the same as the literal meaning of the idiom´s individual elements.

In other words, idioms don´t mean exactly what the words say. They have a hidden meaning. There are lots of idioms in English. Here, we are helping you to learn some related to animals. Come with us to find their secrets!





-Be a cold fish

It is applied to a person who is distant and unfeeling.


Ex: He rarely talks to his colleagues. He is a cold fish.





-Be as gentle as a lamb

It is said about kind, innocent, mild-mannered people.




Ex: She is as gentle as a lamb. That´s why everybody likes her.



-Cry wolf

To ask for help when there is really no danger.




Ex: Because he cried wolf too often, people stopped believing that he needs help.



-Curiosity killed the cat

This is a proverb used to warn people not to be too curious about something and ask too many questions because this can get you into trouble.




Ex: Alan: I wonder who killed that wealthy man?
       Bill: Curiosity killed the cat.





-Every dog has its day

It means that everyone has a time of success and satisfaction.




Ex: You may become successful in your business some day. Every dog has its day.





-Lame duck

It refers to someone who is disabled, helpless, ineffective or inefficient.




Ex: These are the symptoms of a lame duck governor.





-Let the cat out of the bag

To reveal a secret, usually accidentally.





Ex: She wasn´t supposed to know about it. Someone must have let the cat out of the bag.






-Lion´s share

To get or receive the majority, a large or generous portion of something




Ex: The gang stole a lot of money from the bank. But the lion´s share of the money went straight into the leader´s pocket.



-Rain cats and dogs

It is used when it is raining heavily.



Ex: How come are you going out in that storm? It is raining cats and dogs.



-The straw that broke the camel´s back

It refers to that small and seemingly insignificant addition to a burden that makes it too difficult to bear. It is the small thing that causes failure, inability or unwillingness to endure any more of something.




Ex: The boss saw him coming late to work. That was the straw that broke the camel´s back and he fired him immediately.





As we said before, there are many other examples of English idioms, either related to animals or to other things. Share with us those that you know!

15 comments:

  1. Wonderful idioms

    ReplyDelete
  2. jose antonio molinero 3B18 April 2013 at 18:51

    I found new idioms like: two heads are mucha better than one or I´ve been on cloud nine all day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this: `Kill two birds with one stone´ and `Take the bull by the horns´.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ana Las Palmas26 May 2013 at 09:58

    My favourite is : "To be a black sheep"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aday, Las Palmas:
    Well I think my favourite is the one that says: Rain cats and dogs! The first time I heard it was when I was in my English Academy, suddendly it started to rain and my teacher very surprised said:" -Oh my god! It's rainning cats and dogs, don't you see them?" I really like that phrase :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like most of them, but maybe my favourites are: "Every dog has its day" and "be as gentle as a lamb". Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, Las Palmas27 May 2013 at 22:46

    Hello :) congratulations on this page so nice. My favourite idiom is "Curiosity killed the cat".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laura (Las Palmas)27 May 2013 at 23:13

    It is pretty difficult to choose an idiom but if I had to, my favourite ones would be : ``Be as gentle as a lamb´´ and `` friend in need is a friend indeed´´.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amalia, Las Palmas.

    As far as I´m concerned, all of them are amazing, but my favourite idiom is:"Every dog has its day", I think that this idiom is like a motivation to carry on our goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Débora, Las Palmas29 May 2013 at 16:05

    To be honest, I like so much many idioms. But if I had to choose, I would choose "be as gentle as a lamb" and "let the cat out of the bag". Both of them are pretty nice, but my favourite idiom is the second.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every dog has its day.
    It's true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Antonio (Las Palmas)1 June 2013 at 10:32

    Hi there!
    My name's Antonio and I'm only five years old. I'm studying English with my mum. I don't know anything about idioms, but I've recognised all the animals. At the same time we are listening to the song "It's only a woman's heart"...
    Thank you because I'm having a fantastic time with my mum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Antonio! Nice to meet you!

      We are very happy to know that you like studying English and that you know the names of all the animals.

      You know that you can tell us everything you want.

      Thank you very much for your comment! Bye!

      Delete
  13. Hello everyone from Las Palmas.

    First, I want to congratulate you on this page. It is a good and useful tool to study English Idioms. The pictures are very good!

    My favorite idiom is "let the cat out of the bag" because this situation is very common.

    As a teacher, I appreciate your effort to create new tools for teaching.

    Gricel

    ReplyDelete