Saturday 5 October 2013

HYDE PARK: PETER PAN´S GARDEN IN LONDON.




Hyde Park is probably the best-known of central London parks. Well, we must start by saying that it is really two parks joined into one (Hyde Park, 142 hectares; and Kensington Gardens, 111 hectares). Its 253 hectares in total make it one of the greatest urban parks in the world and it can even make you forget that you are in the middle of one of the biggest cities all over the world.





In Hyde Park, you can do lots of different things: It offers various recreational activities including open water swimming, boating, cycling, tennis and horse riding.




Not everybody knows that the origin of Peter Pan´s story has its roots very near this park. But in fact, Peter Pan´s author, J.M. Barrie, lived close to Kensington Gardens and used the park for inspiration. He even chose the spot where the statue now stands.



Last but not least, the park has been and still is an important venue for events like concerts. Last July, the Rolling Stones played two concerts in the park to commemorate a famous one they held there in July 1969. But the park has been the venue for many other famous rock concerts: Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Queen, Elton John or Bruce Springsteen.





Hyde Park is home to a number of famous landmarks including the Serpentine Lake, Speaker´s Corner and Princess Diana´s Memorial.


THE SERPENTINE LAKE

Taking its name from its snakelike shape, this recreational lake was a venue for triathlon events in the London 2012 Olympics.





SPEAKER´S CORNER

If you want people to know your ideas about any subject or if you want to listen to the most eccentric opinions you can imagine, you must go to the north-east corner of the park. It´s a very special place.




PRINCESS DIANA´S MEMORIAL

It was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 2004 and it´s now one of the most visited places in the park.




Here there are images of the two Rolling Stones´ concerts.






To finish with, we want you to see a video clip by Cooper, the band from León, which takes as its setting Hyde Park. It´s in Spanish but we consider that it is worthwhile.




20 comments:

  1. Maite Fdez. Gómez9 October 2013 at 19:12

    Alejandro next to Mick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loreto Novoa 4ºB16 October 2013 at 10:42

    I wish I could go there soon, it seems a really beautiful place. It's like the Central park in NYC, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know "Cooper", but i like the music "The Rolling stones"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manuel y Diego 4ºB16 October 2013 at 10:43

    It's a beautiful park. We would like to visit it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicolás Jáñez Torres 4ºB16 October 2013 at 10:43

    I don´t know that the origin of Peter Pan´s story was in this park,is very interesting this post

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mónica and Merce 4ºB16 October 2013 at 11:03

    It looks amazing! In the future I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Óscar Merayo 4ºB16 October 2013 at 11:04

    So big garden in a city like London! A lot of important concerts here with song groups like Queen or the Rolling Stones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is like the Central Park of London. Personally, I think it is really beautiful. MAYBE we could try to go there on our York tryp days? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the page, songs and videos are very good, this page is one of the best that has the IES Alvaro Yanez

    ReplyDelete
  10. isaac santana IES Pérez galdós

    I LIKED THE VIDEOS OF SCARES

    ReplyDelete
  11. isaac santana jimenez pérez galdós24 November 2013 at 17:28

    I like the page, songs and videos are very good, this page is incredible

    ReplyDelete
  12. isaac santana jimenez perez galdós24 November 2013 at 22:17

    hello i kow that i wrote but this page is incredible

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like this page, they are very funniest videos ;) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  14. This page is very interesting, I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paula Mateos IES PÉREZ GALDÓS28 November 2013 at 17:28

    Last summer I went to London with my family. We traveled to England because we like a lot this great place and it was a fantastic opportunity to know about a new city and also to learn different customs. One of the days we went to this beautiful park, to my mind is the most magic and relaxing place of the world. We enjoyed all the day walking around the park and we saw a lot of people eating sandwiches and salads while they were on the grass. I miss a lot the atmosphere of this park, it was incredible all the different kinds of people you could see around you. Nevertheless, I have to tell you that the most marvelous part of the park was the Peter Pan’s statue. When I was little Peter Pan was my favourite film, that’s why I was delighted and excited, in fact I was all the time taking a lot of photos to this amusing statue.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dácil Martín IES PEREZ GALDÓS.3 January 2014 at 14:39

    I like this page, I love this videos

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gabriel Las Palmas6 January 2014 at 17:10

    I like halloween`s video because it is funny

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carla IES Pérez Galdós Las Palmas11 November 2015 at 22:37

    I saw the videos and I liked them

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello I´m Girma and I be very nervous because me,
    inpress that one thousand of the
    armed forces don´t have de name in de tomb ; send and good-bye

    ReplyDelete