Thursday 17 October 2013

IDIOMS: PARTS OF THE BODY.

Do you remember the idioms we saw last year realted to animals? we give you now a new series of idioms, but in this case they make reference to parts of the body.

An idiom is a combination of words that has a meaning that is different from the meaning of the words themselves. To refresh your memory, we give you an example:

To sit on the fence can literally mean that one is sitting on a fence: "I sat on the fence and watched the game".




However, the idiomatic meaning of to sit on the fence is to not clearly choose a side regarding an issue: "The politician sat on the fence and did not clearly state his opinion about the tax issue".




Well, now that we have reminded you what an idiom is, you can look at the body idioms list below. We hope it will be some use for you.

-AS DRY AS A BONE

Very dry.

"The river bed was as dry as a bone at the end of the summer".




-BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER

Family members are closer to one another than to others.

"Blood is thicker than water and people usually support and help their family in times of trouble."


















-CAN´T STOMACH (SOMEONE or SOMETHING)

To dislike someone or something very much.

"I can´t stomach the new man I work with."












-EYES ARE BIGGER THAN ONE´S STOMACH

Taking more food than one can eat.

"My eyes were bigger than my stomach when I went to the buffet table and took too much food."





-GET A FROG IN ONE´S THROAT

To get soreness in your throat that prevents you from talking well.

"I got a frog in my throat just as I answered the phone to talk to my professor."






-GET BUTTERFLIES IN ONE´S STOMACH

To get a feeling of fear or anxiety in one´s stomach.

"I got butterflies in my stomach just before I took the exam."

 


-GIVE SOMEONE THE COLD SHOULDER

To ignore someone, to reject someone

"The office staff gave the man the cold shoulder when he did not go to the farewell party."





-HEAD AND SHOULDERS ABOVE (SOMEONE or SOMETHING)

To be superior to someone or something.

"Our soccer coach is head and shoulders above the other coaches in the city."

















-JOINED AT THE HIP

Two people spending all their time together.

"The two boys are joined at the hip and never spend any time apart."





















-A PAIN IN THE NECK

An annoying or bothersome person or event.

"This customer is a pain in the neck and is always complaining about something"







19 comments:

  1. Excellent as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maite Fdez. Gómez1 November 2013 at 18:38

    I am not going to "bite my tongue": absolutely excellent !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found these: `a bad hair day´, `(have) egg on your face´ and `a gut feeling´.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manuel Mon González 4ºB14 November 2013 at 20:01

    I have found these: "To be neck and neck", " to play something by ear" and "to keep one`s fingers crossed".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found this idiom: "(Your) heart goes out to (someone)"
    If your heart goes out to someone, you feel great sympathy for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marta Martinez 4ºB14 November 2013 at 22:40

    I found these:"a gut fealing"; If you have a gut feeling, you sense something about a person or a situation, without knowing why, but you're sure what you sense is true.And" (your) heart is in the right place"; If your heart is in the right place, you try to do the right thing, even if things don't always work out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diego Alonso 4ºB15 November 2013 at 11:22

    I have found this one: "Don't pull my leg", it means don't tease me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found this: "To be all ears", it means to be waiting eagerly to hear about something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also found these 'Blow your mind', 'Have the guts' and 'By heart'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicolás Jáñez Torres 4B15 November 2013 at 18:42

    Give the hand and take your arm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cándida García Fernández 4ºB15 November 2013 at 18:50

    I have found this: "a metting of minds", tha is the same like open minds and see the ideas that everyone has. Very useful !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noemí Arias 4ºB15 November 2013 at 19:45

    I think these expressions are very useful: "To go in one ear and come out the other ", "to have something on the tip of one´s tongue" and "all ears".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mónica Velasco 4ºB16 November 2013 at 14:03

    I like these: "get something off one's chest" , "have one's head in the clouds" and "keep one's chin up".

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loreto Novoa 4º B17 November 2013 at 11:59

    These ones are also very heard: You can say a ''weight is off your shoulders'' if you no longer have to worry about something. If you have ''nerves of steel'', you are very brave and not many things make you scared or nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Óscar Merayo 4ºB17 November 2013 at 17:18

    I found these: "thick in the head", that means: not very intelligent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rocío Rivera Steimel 4ºB17 November 2013 at 21:40

    Hearing a song I discovered this idiom: "she´s got me by the throat".
    If someone has got you by the throat, it means that you depend on someone/you are soooooo in love (etc), and that person can make you do whatever he/she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found these: "It is music to my ears" and "Hold your head high." I think they can be very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Alicia Santalla 4B19 November 2013 at 08:10

    I found these: If you shout at the top of your lungs, you shout as loudly as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ylenia 2º Bach. D28 November 2013 at 23:28

    These ones are so funny, if you translate them literally to Spanish, and you imagine them, they are too droll. :P
    I like the fact that there are some of them that are similar to Spanish like "I got butterflies in my stomach" (typical one) or I found "Two birds, one stone" and "It serves you right" I really enjoy the last one

    ReplyDelete