Sunday 3 February 2013

EDWARD HOPPER, THE PAINTER OF SILENCE.



Self-portrait



Art critics considered almost unanimously the Exhibition of Hopper´s paintings at the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum as the best one in Spain during the whole year 2012. Nowadays, you can see this same exhibition in Paris.


Nighthawks



Edward Hopper was an American painter (1882-1967). He is usually called "The Painter of Silence" since he used the real daily life of middle class America to show silence and emptiness, uncertainty and mystery. Don´t worry if you could not go to Madrid to see his paintings! Here are some of his most famous masterworks displayed in a video and in some photographs.  You may have already seen some of them.




Morning Sun
Lighthouse Hill

What do you think about Hopper and his paintings? Do they suggest you something?



For more information on this painter and his work, you can visit the following website:



4 comments:

  1. The truth is that they are very well made and very accomplished, people, landscapes ... seems very real and gives you the feeling that it is a painting.
    Gives me peace, and I find it amazing the quality of the paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maite Fdez. Gómez6 February 2013 at 22:11

    I am not very keen on painting but I must admit that Hopper is an out of the ordinary painter. His paintings are almost photography, so the scenes are easy to understand and close to our daily life.
    But, aren't some of them a little sad? Don't you think that the models look miserable or depressed sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olga IES Fuentesnuevas12 March 2013 at 09:03

    I'm not an Eddward Hopper fan, but I like his paintings. "Lighthouse hill" is my favorite one, and it is because of a little strange reason. It remembers me to Virginia Woolf, the famous writer. Well, I've said that I'm not a big fan, haha.
    I bet you to make a Virginia's post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopper is an amazing painter. He is one of my favourite artists. HE IS AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete