Wednesday 20 February 2013

PLACES YOU SHOULD GO BEFORE YOU DIE (I): BATH

The English Department wants to take you virtually to some of the most beautiful places all over the English-speaking countries. We are starting today with the city of Bath, which is considered to be England´s most beautiful city. Here is a video which shows some of its most beautiful places:




Bath is in South-West England. It has a population of about 85,000. The city was first established as a spa by the Romans in the AD 60. They built baths and a temple taking advantage of some natural hot springs they found in the valley of the River Avon. Many years later, it became a popular spa town during the Georgian era (XVII and XVIII centuries), which explains the enormous heritage of Georgian architecture that you can find in the city. Apart from its well preserved Roman Baths, the city has a magnificent cathedral.

It became a World Heritage Site in 1987. Bath has a variety of theatres, museums and other cultural and sports venues, which have helped to make it a major centre for tourism. The city has also two universities and several schools and colleges. For literature lovers, we can say that Jane Austen, the author of Pride and Prejudice, lived here for some years and you can even visit the house where she lived.

So, if you go to England and have some spare time, don´t forget to visit bath. You won´t regret! Here you have pictures of some of the landmarks of this wonderful town.

Aerial View of Bath


The Bridge













Bath Abbey

Roman Baths

For more information about the city you can visit this website:  www.visitbath.co.uk

9 comments:

  1. I am going to speak about the place where I want to go. I would like to go to Ottawa, Canada's capital. I love this country because it is very majestic as USA. In Otawa, there are a lot of ancient monuments to visit and I will go there as soon as possible. Furthermore while I was reading the first paragraph, I decided to watch the documentary, where I heard the song "May it be" of Enya, I got so excited because I love this song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There´s no doubt Canada is an amazing country and I´m sure Ottawa will be a really interesting city, the same as Quebec, Montreal or Toronto, to say but a few. I´m so happy you know and appreciate Enya´s music. It may not be trendy nowadays but I agree with you that it is captivating, isn´t it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maite Fdez. Gómez21 February 2013 at 20:35

    I would like to suggest one or two towns and villages, here, in Spain. Have you ever been to Albarracín in Teruel? Have you ever heard about the beauty of Guadalest, Alicante? What about Trujillo or Lekeitio?
    Anyway, I've never been to Bath but I must admit that every single British town is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I´m sure all those towns or villages you mention are quite beautiful. I was even working for a year in one of them, Trujillo. But we are going to talk about other places in Britain, Ireland, the USA... What about Salisbury, Stratford-Upon-Avon or York? Any of these places is well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travelling is the only thing, appart from books, which makes you dream and learn new, different and gorgeous things

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicolás Jáñez 3B3 March 2013 at 22:50

    I would like to suggest one place very beautiful how is Cuba with his beaches his crystallines water and his sun is a well place for relax and to who don´t like the relax?Because I love the relax

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rocio Rivera Steimel 3ºB4 March 2013 at 16:24

    I´d like to recommend a very beautiful place but beware, it´s quite expensive. I think the Maurice Islands are the most amazing islands I have always wanted to visit. They are located in the Indic Ocean, close to the big island of Madagascar (south-east of Africa).
    I´m posting a link, if someone is interested, lick here: http://www.mauritius.net/index.php

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marta Ies Fuentesnuevas14 March 2013 at 09:07

    I don't know Bath but it's looks like a very beautiful place. In my next travel I will go to visit this place.
    I want to recommend other beautiful place which is in Belgica. The name of this place is Brujas. It's the most beautiful place that I have seen

    ReplyDelete