Saturday 23 February 2013

THE FIRST VAMPIRE STORY?: "DRACULA"


The cover of the English book


 The English Department is going to suggest you some books written by English or American writers which will take you to the marvellous places where only books can take you. You will only have to read and...enjoy!


To begin with, nothing better than a vampire story. You are probably one of the millions of fans of the Twilight saga all over the world. This series of four vampire-themed fantasy romance novels by American author Stephenie Meyer has sold millions of copies worldwide and gained immense popularity and commercial success.


 
Twilight, a 21st century vampire story

If you are one of those young people who felt fascinated by the story of "Bella" Swan, his love for the 104-year-old vampire Edward Cullen and the fight against the sadistic vampire James, you will also feel caught up by Dracula, a Gothic horror novel written in 1897 by Irish author Bram Stoker. But don´t be afraid if you felt the Twilight saga was too much of a romance. Dracula is not only about love. In a mixture of genres, it includes vampire literature, horror fiction,  gothic novel and invasion literature.

Whitby Abbey´s ruins helped inspire Dracula
The novel introduced the character of  the vampire Count Dracula, telling the story of Dracula´s attempt to relocate from Transylvania to England, and the battle between Dracula and a small group of men and women led by professor Van Helsing. Bram Stoker didn´t invent the vampire but defined its modern form, providing inspiration for numerous theatrical, film and television interpretations.

One of the most famous adaptations of the novel was the 1992 film directed by Francis Ford Coppola, with Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder, Keanu Reeves and Anthony Hopkins as the main stars. The film had extraordinary critics and it also became a box office hit. Love and horror filled the whole film and it won three Oscars.



Even though the film is so thrilling, you should start by reading the novel, with its frenetic action full of love, desire, mystery and horror. You won´t be able to stop reading the brilliant dialogues, trying to uncover the hidden messages and to get over the overwhelming stream of feelings and emotions it arouses in the reader.


 
One of the most popular film versions of the vampire
So, if you are brave enough, don´t lose one more second! Get hold of the book and get ready for an unforgettable experience! This is a book unlike any other!

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Manuel! I see that this blog is getting higher and higher. This post is a fantastic approach to the literary origins of many fashionable things among teenagers today.
    I hope you can keep delighting us with your entries.
    We all really thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cándida García Fdez. 3º B1 March 2013 at 16:21

    I loves Vampire's histories !! And also I love the Crepusculo's Collection. I saw the film off Bram Stoker and the first time that I saw it I was very scared... But I like Bella Swan and Edward Cullen becouse is very exciting more the love that have this two people than the vampires... And Crepusculo's films are news than Bram Stoker film...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this kind of literature, I'd say that it's the only one I read. The Twilight saga in one of my favourites, it's the perfect mixture between love and scary stories. I haven't read Dracula yet but I bought it three months ago. I hope that the exams finish quickly, I'm really looking forward to read.
    PD: The author of the Twilight saga is called Stephenie Meyer, not Stephanie Meyer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You´re right, Loreto. Her real name is Stephenie (With "e"). Her father´s name was Stephen and he seems to have wanted to preserve his own name on his daughter´s. He added the ending "-ie" just to make it a woman´s name.

    I hope you´ll like Dracula. I really think it´s agreat novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marta Martinez Dominguez 3ªB4 March 2013 at 19:48

    I like very much the vampires' histories, I am very nice since they mix history you bless and beliefs. I like the twilight saga because , I have seen all his movies and believe that they are the vampires' best and loves that I have seen in my life.
    I hope that it is you also you find liked everything what treats of vampires

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manuel Mon Gonzalez 3ºB5 March 2013 at 11:25

    I like the histories of vampires. I think they are very original. My favourite film of vampires is, of course, Twilight. I have seen all the films of the saga except one and I think they are incredible because they mix action and love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Silvia Rubial 3ºB5 March 2013 at 15:52

    I like the histories os vampires. My favourite film is Twilight.
    I saw all the films of the saga, except the last film, I thik that the last films is the best. I hope to see the film it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awwwwyeah, I love bella... It´s a joke. It´s the worst saga of the world, my eyes bleed when y see this films

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andrés Asensio 4ºC22 March 2013 at 09:05

    the tornadus of the second video is very amazing and bobby chartlon is one of the best football player in the world

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this movie, it´s very interesting and the book is amazing! But you can do a post about Harry Potter, these are my favourites books and films, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that there are a lot of films or series of vampires better than the twilight saga, for example the vampire diaries. Twilight is very unbelievable...

    ReplyDelete