Friday 8 February 2013

THE PRE-RAPHAELITES

The Pre-Raphaelites were a group of  English painters and poets founded in 1848 by William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais and Dante Gabriel Rossetti. The group would be later joined by some other artists, like Edward Burne-Jones, John William Waterhouse or Frank Dicksee.

These artists considered that Raphael had had a corrupting influence in the development of art and wanted a return to the abundant detail, intense colours and complex compositions of Quattrocento Italian art. That´s why they were called The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood.

Their paintings took biblical, mythological and medieval stories as their subjects. They had ardent support from numerous other artists of the day. Their influence has even arrived up to our days.

As we think that art is to be enjoyed, we´ll show you some of the most famous paintings by these artists.


WILLIAM HOLMAN HUNT





The Hireling Shepherd

The Eve of St. Agnes







The Awakening Conscience





JOHN EVERETT MILLAIS



Christ in the House of His Parents


Ophelia


The Blind Girl


DANTE GABRIEL ROSSETTI
Proserpine

Beata Beatrix
EDWARD BURNE-JONES




The Beguiling of Merlin
The Golden Stairs






OTHER PAINTERS

La Belle Dame Sans Merci, Waterhouse


The Lady of Shallott, Waterhouse

La Belle Dame Sans Merci, Sir Frank Dicksee



This is a beautiful video where you can see lots of paintings by the Pre-Raphaelite artists.

7 comments:

  1. María Arias 4ºB16 February 2013 at 01:50

    I really like Ophelia´s picture the first time I saw it I was a little child and I couldn´t understand how the artist imagined to depict a girl sleeping and when I read Hamlet I understood all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maite Fdez. Gómez16 February 2013 at 18:19

    I feel a little bit embarrassed about giving my opinion about painting when I can say I don't know anything but the names a few painters and some of their most famous paintings. Anyway, my favourite from the bunch is La Belle Dame sans Merçi (Waterhouse).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it´s not so important to know many things about painting as to have enough sensibility to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Pre-Raphaelites and the 19th. century... touché!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment, Elsa. I see that we both like some things as 19th century. It was a unique time for art and for literature. Maybe it seems a bit far sometimes, but it is impossible not to marvel at many paintings or literary works made at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we both like beautiful things. But did you say it is 'a bit far sometimes'??? I don´t agree with you. Have a look at this: http://www.filmaffinity.com/es/film113202.html
    I am sure you will enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea about the existence of this series. It looks really awesome. I suppose it will be a bit difficult to see it on any Spanish TV channel. Thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete